How to Buy the Best Digital Piano?
Whenever we hear the term Piano, what comprehends is fun, relaxation, chords, passion, and music.
It wouldn’t be inapt to say that people who play the Piano possess phenomenal talent as it requires a tremendous amount of coordination.
A great pianist, via his Piano, ennobles the music in a way that no other instrument can match up to.
Playing an instrument enhances mental relief and a deep sense of satisfaction. Many people are drifting about whether the Piano is worth learning and, if yes, which Piano they should opt for and buy.
The market is flooded with various brands and varieties of pianos. So, the kind of confusion that creeps in is wholly justified.
The Piano is a musical instrument with a keyboard. It is also called pianoforte.
The standard modern Piano contains 88 keys and has a compass of seven full octaves plus a few keys.
In the world of keyboard instruments, there are a lot of different varieties: the portable keyboard, arranger keyboard, synthesizer, electric Piano, acoustic Piano, digital piano and stage piano.
A digital piano has no strings or hammers, but instead, it utilizes electronics in one form or another to produce the sound.
Digital pianos allow for a greater variation in sounds because they allow for sound modification.
Buying a digital piano, especially your first one can be confusing due to the number of types and styles available in the market.
Adding the cherry on the cake are the technical terms and jargon that are included in the product descriptions. So here we bring you a definitive guide on buying a digital piano.
Steps to Find Best Digital Piano:
To ease your purchase, here is a step-by-step guide to help you determine which Piano you need to buy:
1. Storability – Check the weight and the ease with which the Piano can be broken down. This can be one of the main issues if you need a piano for travel purposes.
2. Dimensions – It is essential to measure the area wherein you want to place the instrument. However, the adjustable stands can help solve any mismatches.
3. Skill Level– Now, choosing the right Piano depends on your experience or skill level. If you are only a beginner, too many features will only get in your way. So opt for a simple model that has some built-in learning tools. If you tend to be an advanced pianist, check for the features like touch response, velocity sensitivity, weighted and semi-weighted actions, and others.
4. Cost – Now, this is a paramount factor while making a purchase. Analyze your budget well in advance and plan accordingly.
5. Extras – Extras. Ensure that the digital Piano chosen has all the extra features you require. These can be USB connections, MIDI, headphone connections, instrument selection, and connections to PA systems.
6. Do your Homework– Research the specifics and read various online reviews for that expert guidance.
So, look out for these critical considerations while you hone the search to buy a piano. Many critical areas like touch and sound should be delved into while making a purchase. Check for the amplifiers and speakers if you plan for a live performance or something in that zone.
Types of Digital Piano:
Generally, there are three types of digital Piano: Digital Piano, Ensemble Piano, Stage Piano. Let’s have a look at what they comprise of and what makes them different from each other:
1. Digital Piano – A digital piano built into a cabinet is larger than a keyboard with a full 88 note keyboard, a small palette of sounds and usually a built-in metronome.
2. Digital Ensemble Piano – The best highlighting fact about this Piano is that it comes with a vast recording section allowing for compositions and arrangements to be undertaken. It has an auto-accompaniment section similar to that of a keyboard. It gives you access to the vast palette of sounds and rhythms.
3. Stage Piano – If you are the one who would require portability, then this one is for you. It comes without the cabinet thus, allowing for greater portability.
The best part about buying a digital piano is that you will have access to MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), which allows connection to a computer and is a great modus operandi for music technology.
Moving ahead, let’s first have a glance at the meaning of some of the basic terms that will be used tremendously in the article:
1. Polyphony – It refers to the number of individual notes or tones the Piano can produce at once. The highest quality electronic pianos deliver 128-note or 264-note polyphony.
2. Damper Pedal – It is the most commonly used pedal on a modern piano. It is typically the rightmost of two or three pedals.
3. Acoustic Piano – It is a piano that relies on making it sound purely from natural acoustics of felt-covered hammers hitting high-tensile steel wire strings.
4. Hammer Action Keys – The “hammer action” keys mean that the key mechanism is in some way replicating the same action found on acoustic pianos. Here the resistance comes from a small hammer located and attached by a lever system near the key rather than a spring.
Top Digital Piano Brands:
The market is flooded with a variety of digital pianos. Among those are pianos from the best-renowned brands known for their quality and service. Let’s have a look at some of the best and top brands in the market of digital pianos:
Yamaha is a Japanese piano company and makes many different acoustic and digital pianos models. They also happen to make more pianos than anyone else in the world. It has years of experience producing both acoustic and digital instruments. It is a brand that strives continuously to provide refined technology.
Significantly over time, Yamaha has improved a lot on their products. Yamaha is a brand that offers an instrument for musicians at every level. In short, Yamaha comes with a solution to every need of the pianists, both for beginners and advanced. In short, it is the most diverse brand you will ever come across.
People buy Yamaha products because of the legacy and the reliability they carry along.
The Casio Company has its worldwide headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, producing digital pianos for over 30 years. They also produce keyboards, pro synthesizers, calculators, advanced digital cameras, sports & consumer watches, advanced digital technology for communication devices, and some awe-inspiring new digital computer technology.
The best part about their products is that they are reasonable and are genuinely priced. The main reason is that Casio produces their computer chips and proprietary micro technology rather than buying it from outside, which eventually decreases their cost.
To sum up, this is one particular brand known for giving the best quality products at less price or at a very reasonable price that every Casio purchase is worth the deal.
Many years ago, Roland started making digital pianos and is well known throughout the world for building high-quality, advanced digital music products that are preferred and used by both beginners and advanced players.
If you are picky about the quality of the product and cannot compromise on this aspect, then Roland is a brand for you. Roland is a brand that is known for innovations and improvements. Every time they come up with a new product, it is a much better and improved version of their previous one.
However, fetching the price info on Roland products is tricky as they do not publish the prices of their products on the web. Except for one or two, Roland usually comes in a high price range, but given their quality, the price range is wholly justified.
The Kawai is a musical instrument manufacturing company headquartered in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan. They have been producing digital pianos and acoustic pianos for decades and are well-known and respected worldwide for building high-quality instruments.
Kawai Company is known to build concert-quality acoustic grand pianos used by pro musicians, teachers, churches, and schools worldwide.
Kawai focuses on building beautiful pianos with unprecedented quality. Kawai pianos are known to emphasize depth of tone, and due to this, it is preferred by all over the world by accomplished pianists.
Now, let’s examine some of the best products delineated by these very brands:
The 3 Best Digital Piano Recommendations (With Reviews)
Casio PX850 Privia Digital Piano Review:
Casio has long been an illustrious producer of musical instruments. They are known for their continuous enhancements and innovations in musical instruments.
Casio produces a line of digital pianos called Privia, and under the Privia name, Casio has seven different portable and furniture digital pianos models.
Casio PX850 is one particular company model in which they bet their credibility.
This Piano is a more advanced instrument that is a perfect midrange choice for home use. It imbibes that classic piano touch, but with modern and sophisticated technology.
Check full review of Casio PX850 Privia Digital Piano.
Yamaha DGX650 Digital Piano Review:
Yamaha is one of the topmost brands in the world of digital pianos. The brand has earned tremendous recognition via the quality of products it provides.
Yamaha DGX650 is the most versatile and feature-laden Piano you will find in the market. It is marketed primarily towards beginning pianists and semi-professional players.
It captures some incredible features that make a whole lot of playing experience easier and more comfortable.
The best part is that it has a keyboard that provides an acoustic piano tone and touch and the ability to blend piano sounds sampled from some of Yamaha’s finest pianos.
Check full review of Yamaha DGX650 Digital Piano.
Roland RD 300 NX Digital Piano Review:
There is no second opinion that Digital pianos are ruling the piano market. A few years ago, nobody would have thought that the sale of digital pianos would be burgeoning, and they will be topping the charts.
Many pianists now claim that digital pianos have tremendously overpowered acoustic pianos. Digital pianos are a more advanced version of a traditional acoustic piano. They simulate the way a real piano sound and is played.
A digital piano has no hammers, strings or any of the moving parts you find in an acoustic piano. However, better quality digital pianos may have a weighted key action feature that tries to imitate the feel of an acoustic piano keyboard.
Amongst this cut-throat competition, few brands manage to gain the limelight due to their exceptional and magnificent product quality. Roland is no different.
Check full review of Roland RD 300 NX Digital Piano
Comparison of Top 3 Digital Pianos:
If you ask us out of the three which is the best, then let me state that each has its edge over the others.
Casio PX850 digital piano is an excellent choice for its price and is considerably less money than the Roland piano. The PX850 is also a new model than the Roland pianos and offer USB direct connect the output to iPad or computer.
The PX850 is using Casio’s latest upgraded digital technology that, in my opinion, exceeds any other digital piano in this lower price range for what it offers in a furniture cabinet piano.
However, as a beginner, if you tend to enjoy the experience of an acoustic piano, blindly go for the Roland one.
If you are the one who wants to play music for relaxation and fun and experience the best feel than going for Yamaha DGX650 as it is a great instrument for the right purposes and offers fun entertainment for the entire family.
Before making an actual purchase, you should consult a pianist or a teacher friend. However, the best resort is to read online reviews that yield expert opinions on various models considering the viability. In short, do your homework well before making a purchase.
Benefits of Choosing a Digital Piano
Before we delve into the key considerations and the steps you need to keep in mind while buying a piano, let’s have a look at some of the advantages of buying a digital piano:
1. Cost – Digital pianos generally cost far less than their acoustic counterparts, and so is their maintenance.
2. Portability – They are easily portable and much lighter in weight than their counterparts. They are usually more compact and easily broken down for effective storage.
3. Space -A digital piano occupies much less space than an acoustic piano and doesn’t require tuning. Therefore they can be placed in most rooms regardless of temperature and humidity. Moreover, a digital piano can be played through headphones, eliminating the necessity to locate it in a room where it will not disturb others.
4. Connectivity – Most digital pianos have the MIDI capability, allowing you to connect to computers and recording equipment. Many come with a USB port, while some come with flash memory cards, making connections simpler.
5. Sound Quality – The sound quality of a digital piano is much better than a keyboard because they typically have built-in speakers. Most digital pianos allow you to record your performance that can be beneficial if you plan to record your songs.
6. Tuning – Digital pianos never need tuning and can even be transposed to play in a different key at the touch of a button. This particular aspect makes the whole piano playing experience a lot more convenient.
7. Volume – Its volume can be easily controlled, and they generally include headphone outputs to practise in private. The best part is that they imbibe sound sets built into digital pianos, making it easier to add drums and percussion and many other sounds to enhance your performance.
These reasons are worth enough to spellbind your purchase. Now, let’s look at the steps you need to execute to make a practical purchase.
Advantages of Playing Piano
Now, if you ask about the advantages of playing the Piano, go and ask a pianist. He will let you know that playing the Piano is far beyond skill acquisition and learning music. It enriches your life for good.
The advantages or benefits you will derive while learning Piano, I am pretty damn sure you are going to cherish that lifetime. Playing the Piano has many health benefits, both mental and physical. Let’s have a look at some of them:
1. Calmer approach towards life – Music is known to calm you and relieve your stress and anxiety. Now, sitting down to play the Piano requires a certain amount of dedication and help your mind refocus, eventually relaxing you and relieving your stress. It is even known to calm down a person’s blood pressure, increase energy levels, sexual function and muscle mass. It is undoubtedly rational stress-reducing therapy recognized by health and fitness expert professionals.
2. Eye and Hand Coordination – Playing the Piano requires you to read and play, eventually fostering eye and hand coordination. Each hand performs entirely different movements and has to learn to work together, stimulating multiple parts of the brain. This enhancement of coordination is genuinely beneficial for an individual.
3. Language Development – Various studies have revealed that the brain activity acquired in youth through music continues to benefit through adulthood. A person tends to develop a faster approach and learn an alien language faster.
4. Social Approach – In today’s time, one cannot ignore the importance of this aspect. It helps you build connections ad you learn to respect and appreciate the work of others. These things eventually build up your social circle and imbibe a social approach to life.
5. Improves Neural Connections – Various studies acclaim that neural firings happen when music is being played, suggesting that playing instruments like the Piano may hold the key to higher brain function. Many people have claimed that playing the Piano has reduced their depression significantly. In short, playing the Piano increases the cognitive development of an individual.
6. Builds creativity – It brings out the creative aspect of an individual and strives to improve regularly. Playing the Piano requires you to be creative every time you play. I think this is one of the main reasons musicians tend to be more creative thinkers and able problem solvers than other human beings.
7. A step towards future success – Qualities like discipline, patience, coordination, etc., are imbibed automatically in a piano player. It even tends to increase your ability to memorize. All these skills help you strive for success and excellence in the future.
These are some of the advantages out of the lot that gives you enough reasons to start learning and playing the Piano from today.
Digital pianos, undoubtedly, have come a long way from where they used to be 15 years ago and are continuously striving towards perfection. The digital pianos sure-shot make the learning experience more comfortable and convenient.
However, which digital piano one should buy, is not an easy decision to make. One needs to know what the requirement is. One needs to keep many things in mind; the critical touch, authentic piano sound & dynamics with full expression capability, natural pedalling response, and durability while making a purchase.
The best way to hear all of the sound nuances of the hex layers and the other whole and complex tones in the Piano is through a good sound system.
Thus, while purchasing a digital piano, one cannot overlook the importance of a good sound system. So, this feature you surely need to keep on top of your list while buying a digital piano.
I hope our definitive guide helps you in making a practical purchase.